Thursday, September 17, 2009

RELATIVELY FAITH...and broken glass

I'll open this up light, because it's not going to finish that way at all. If you hate those beating around the bush comments, you can b-line across the bush to the Word and Church section of this post.

Apartment/Work
Living w/Dawn has been amazing, she's such a blessing to me. It's rained every day straight beginning with last friday, and I'm hoping , ending with today; and that sweetie has driven me to work almost every day I've been scheduled. I'm proud to announce that I have not actually spent a single dime since....last....wednesday(?). Sadly, that's because I don't have many dimes til I get paid(tomorrow, hear angelic chorus of angels, "haaaalelujah, hallelujah, ha-a-llelujah").
Yesterday at work i broke the glass part of a frame that was supposed to be shipped. Yep. I did that.
one hour before closing.
on my second week in.
I broke something expensive.
oh. did I mention this frame is about half as tall as me??
So I was spazzing inside, really hoping that I didn't get fired when I got to work at 7.45 thismorning. As a result, I didn't actually fall asleep until about 2am this morning.
It was still raining when I woke up, even though the forcast was clear, so i couldn't moped. Nope. I biked to work. In the Rain. and then my tire got caught in this mud-hay mixture covering the road and I completely biffed about a mile away from work, in uniform. Got there at 8pm.
My right leg is slightly swollen. good times.
On the upside, I did not get fired! And my boss positive-ly called it a "learning experience."
I think I might be a slow learner, but I'm catching on....

I also got a 2nd job at Starbucks!!! wooohooooo!!!!!!

Word and Church
The Depth. Ok.
I've gotten into a few convo's in the past week with some friends, done some word, and this is what i've got.
So over the past few years, I should admit that I have felt pressure, and often given into, "Cool" christianity. You know that kind where you don't make people uncomfortable with your faith? Where you become so culturally relevant that the only people you're making uncomfortable are those within the church, because they honestly don't know where you stand?
And I'll admit that I've had this thought: It doesn't matter, I'm building relationships with the right people. Maybe this little word or comment with shake the church out of their polo shirts and khaki pants. We try so hard to be able to relate to culture that we stop relating Jesus to our culture, instead we just...match out culture, and listen to some christian bands, or carry a bible around and underline a few things.
But what we're really doing is watering down our faith enough so that the world doesn't notice to much that it's supposed to be fire, and we don't have to worry about the flame spreading.
What I'm not saying: that we should never try to get into the world. Of course we should be on the level with everyone and communicate well for the lost and those being saved to understand. As Paul said, Be a roman to the romans.
What I am saying: If we become so culturally relevant to the world that the church matches it, what counter-culture within the church would the world be attracted to? Our Faith should offend people. But it should offend for the right reasons. Our faith should offend the complacency, self-centeredness, religiosity, pride, and debauchery that is inate to the flesh in us all. Our faith should be a beacon of hope, of change, and of relationship w/Christ to all. To those within and with-out The Way.
Have we become so cool that we're luke warm?

My hope is that we don't become so afraid of being crazy-spiritual that we lose all connection with those things that are spiritual. My hope is that we regain a passionate, wild-fire faith that is revolutionary. I pray that as we follow Christ, we find what true faith looks like, and spread it to the world.

3 comments:

  1. I like the idea of being an extension of God to a person or persons. I admire Elihu, who spoke to Job AFTER the three (non)comforters were done with their balderdash. When Elihu got done speaking (ch.32-36), God not only did not correct him, He picked up right where Elihu left off, and went right on confronting Job, until Job surrendered his heart to God. Of course we need to keep our own heart right in order to do that and in order to sense where God is at with people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am relating the above comment to your Word and Church post, because you are talking about getting in people's faces with the truth in love. If you read Elihu's words, you can feel the passion for God in what he says, it's not just religious diatribe.

    ReplyDelete